Phases of Vegetative Growth
Learn the phases of vegetative growth of a Cannabis plant. After germination, the first cannabis shoot is born. Learn when to transplant and how to identify the right time to pass in flowering .
* It is worth remembering that times of growth vary greatly between each species of cannabis. Find out about the flowering time when buying your seeds.
- At this stage your plant will already have developed four definitive sheets.
- With two weeks, our plant can be transplanted into an average vase.
- In this step, you can already apply growth control techniques.
- Possibility to find out if it is male or female.
- Beginning of flowering: in 6 to 8 weeks we can identify the sex of our cannabis plant. It’s time to transplant into a larger vessel and change the light cycle to 12 hours a day.
Phase 0: Marijuana germination
Complete Guide: Learn how to germinate a cannabis seed.
In the germination part, the plants are very short so you can plant many seeds in a large pot (distance 5-10cm) or in several pots less than 1 liter for example, until the first stage of growth.
Phase 1: First Day
The first day of this phase is when the plant forms the first four definitive leaves .
- In indoor, regulate the lights on for 18 hours a day and keep the plant humid, but without soaking.
- In outdoor is recommended to leave in a small pot, in a safe place so that the animals do not step on your plant which is still very fragile. Keep the soil humid without soaking.
Phase 2: Ready for the first transplant
Approximately two weeks after the first phase, your plant will be ready for the first transplant.
- If you have purchased feminized or automatic seeds , you can transfer them to a pot of at least 20 liters (indoor) or direct to the ground (outdoor)
- But if you chose to plant normal seeds, we recommend that you transplant into an average pot (10 liters) until you discover the gender of your plant.
Phase 3: Pruning cannabis plant
In this vegetative stage the plant is the right size to apply some growth control techniques such as pinching, SeaOfGreen and various types of pruning …
Phase 4: Pre-flowering
With luck, in the pre-flowering stage of marijuana, you will be able to identify the gender of your plant .
At this stage of growth, if we find males it is still in time to eliminate them once and for all before they contaminate their production.
Phase 5: Flora time
It’s time for flowering!
You will see the buds forming gradually between the branches of the branches.
Thanks for reading Phases of Vegetative Growth. Read our Beginners Guide Growing Cannabis Indoors.